Friday, June 10, 2011

Hexie Fever

My newest obsession ... 1" hexies.

If you're not familiar with English paper piecing, you start out with a cardstock shape - hexagons, triangles, diamonds, etc. Then baste fabric around the hexie paper. And finally, hand sew your hexies together to make a beautiful quilt top!

I'm starting out with Civil War reproduction fabrics for my "flower petals" with a solid black Kona cotton center. My plans are for this to be a quilt for my bed ... well, mine and hubby's! I've already calculated that I need 1,612 hexies for my quilt ... which also means I need about 230 "flowers". As you can see from my picture I've already got a start ... and I have another 23 flowers to add. So, let's see ... that means I only have another 199 flowers to put together!

I already have plans for other hexie projects using fabrics from lines like Three Sisters and French General. One day....

I recently joined an online "inchy hexagon flower" swap. A lot of the participants in the swap are from Australia and New Zealand, but there are also some from Croatia, the Netherlands, United Kingdom and Denmark..to name a few. I'm really excited to be participating in the swap and look forward to all the "inchy hexagon flowers" I'll be receive in the future!

Have a great weekend!

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment