Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day and Bargains Galore!


As we celebrate Memorial Day, I'd like to say, "Thank You" to those men and women who bravely serve in our armed forces and to those who gave their lives in service over the years! Your sacrifice is truly appreciated!
___

While running some errands earlier today, I decided to stop into two of my local thrift shops -- Goodwill and a store called Unique - proceeds from sales benefit the local Courage Center.

My first stop was Goodwill, where I found this basket (I already spray painted it white) (I'll use for my bathroom trash basket) and this beautiful white pitcher. I expected to pay the full price on both which would have come to a little over $5 with tax; however, I was pleasantly surprised when the cashier told me my total was just a few cents over $2. Apparently, everything in the store was 50% off today!

Later in the afternoon, I headed out for Joann's and decided to stop by Unique. I couldn't believe how packed the parking lot was when I arrived. As at Goodwill, everything in here was 50% off as well! Here's what I came home with:

  • Two pink mirrored candle sconces (planning to paint these white) $1.97
  • White stoneware gravy boat - minus the ladle - $1.97 (I'm thinking this will look cute sitting on a shelf with the opening for the ladle facing the back)
  • Two dishtowels - $0.73 for the solid red one; $0.47 for the white and red stripe one
  • Small silver plated dish - $0.81
  • TOTAL with tax: $6.25

I've never really thought about shopping thrift stores and garage sales for anything other than furniture. But over the last few weeks of reading other blogs and everyone sharing pictures of the treasures they have found, I decided I need to get out there as well!

Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality is hosting her weekly thrifty treasures. Pop over there and check out more treasures her readers have found!

Have a wonderful week!

Patti





2 comments:

  1. Patti, good for you! See, you never know what you'll find & that's the fun of yardsales & thrifting. You have to go with an open mind. Thanks for joining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the white pitcher and gravy boat! You really found some great finds at great bargain prices. Don't ya just LOVE it!?
    Toni

    ReplyDelete